Winter Crime Prevention Tips
from the Erie Police Department
As the days become colder and shorter, the Erie Police Department would like to remind residents of a few tips to help prevent crimes this winter.
- Continue to lock your homes and keep your garage door closed and secured. Within seconds, thieves can enter an open or unlocked garage and steal items from your car. Oftentimes, identity theft or forgeries quickly follow when the suspect(s) use your credit cards to make unlawful purchases.
- If you know you are having packages delivered to your porch or home and you cannot be present, ask a neighbor or friend to collect them for you. Thieves known as “Porch Pirates” often follow delivery trucks and will brazenly steal items from your porch.
- Auto thefts known as “Puffers” are the classic crime of opportunity. Unless you have a newer model vehicle with an automatic starter, vehicle thefts increase during the winter months because people warm up their cars in front of their home or in their driveway. This may allow a passing auto thief to hop in and steal your car.
- Criminals often take advantage of the darkness to commit crimes. Be aware of your surroundings as you walk to and from your car especially at shopping centers, when you run into a convenient store or while waiting at a bus stop.
- As the official holiday shopping season begins, do not leave your valuables in your car unless absolutely necessary. If you leave valuables in your car, lock them in the trunk or hide them from plain view.
Should you see or hear something which seems suspicious, please take a few seconds to call the police. You can remain anonymous. In an emergency call 911, for a non-emergency, call Boulder County Dispatch at (303) 441-4444.
Did you know one of the most effective crime prevention programs is Neighborhood Watch? In simple terms, Neighborhood Watch is neighbors watching out for each other. If you are interested in creating a Neighborhood Watch block in your community, contact the Erie Police Department at 303-926- 2800.
The Erie Police Department also participates in an on-line “virtual neighborhood” called Nextdoor. You can sign up at: www.nextdoor.com.
Be safe, have a great Holiday season and contact the Erie Police Department if there is anything we can do to help you make your neighborhood safe and secure this season.
ERIE POLICE DEPARTMENT
1000 Telleen Avenue | P.O. Box 510
Erie, CO 80516
www.erieco.gov/police | 303-926-2800