Board Approves Historic Landmark Designation for Erie Methodist Church
At the recommendation of the Town of Erie Historic Preservation Advisory Board (HPAB), the Board of Trustees approved the Historic Landmark Designation for Erie Methodist Church. Erie Methodist Church is located at 602 Holbrook Street and was erected in 1888.
According to the Historic Landmark Designation application:
“The church was the first building erected specifically as a church in the Town. It served the community in the early days when most local residents had some affiliation with coal mining in the area and were of British extraction. It continued to serve the religious needs of the community as new ethnic groups arrived and coal mining experienced periods of labor unrest, boom, depression, and decline. The building, still used as the Methodist chapel, was built by local carpenter James L. Wilson. Rev. Richard J. Van Valkenburg, who was closely connected with the development and improvement of Erie and founded the congregation, was closely associated with its activities in the early years of its history. This property is potentially eligible to the National Register under Criterion C, for its architecture, which represents the Gothic Revival style as applied to a nineteenth century church in a small coal mining town, and for its representation of the work of local carpenter James L. Wilson. The church is also significant under Criterion Bin the area of religion, for its association with Rev. Richard J. Van Valkenburg, who founded the congregation, was its first pastor, and was involved in many ways in the development of Erie.”
Learn More About HPAB