Coexisting with Coyotes
Erie is no stranger to coyote sightings. These clever canids have readily adapted to our food and habitat-rich environments.
As sightings begin to rise, we would like to take a moment to share some reminders to help avoid coyote encounters in your neighborhood. Please share these tips with your children and neighbors.
- Keep pets on a leash when walking
- Pick up small pets if confronted by a coyote
- Do what you can to discourage a coyote's approach - yell, stomp your feet, throw small rocks or sticks
- Always supervise your pet when outside, especially at dawn and dusk
- Never leave cats or dogs outside after dark
- Don't leave food or water outside for pets
- Keep your pets up to date on vaccinations
If you encounter a coyote behaving aggressively, or a coyote attack we urge you to contact our dispatch at 303-441-4444. Ask to speak with an officer, who will forward the details to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. For information on how to minimize coyote encounters visit: https://www.erieco.gov/265/Coyotes-FAQs.