WCR 5 Improvements - Final Phase Begins
On Wed., August 17, pending unforeseen issues or delays, the contractor will reconstruct the WCR 5 and WCR 10 intersection marking the beginning of the final phase of the WCR Improvements project.
Motorists can expect:
- A full opening of WCR 5 for both southbound and northbound traffic with striping by August 17.
- Intermittent closures of either eastbound or westbound WCR 10; detour as necessary.
- Construction is permitted between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Pedestrians can expect:
- Sidewalks along the north side of Flora View Drive and the east side of WCR 5 will be complete by the start of school on Wed., August 17.
- Crossing guard volunteers (provided by the Erie Police) will be at WCR 5 & Erie Parkway and WCR 5 and Flora View (in addition to SVVSD crossing guards on school property) from August 17 - August 19. As always, School Resource Officers are on-site during drop-off and pick-up, as well as throughout the school day.
- Beginning August 22, The Town contracted with S.E.S. Security for crossing guard services on WCR 5 at Flora View until the signal installation, expected in winter.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to reduce speeds and pay close attention to detours and traffic control signs.
The contractor reports the bulk of the work is anticipated to conclude in early September. Afterward, there may be a need for intermittent shoulder and lane closures for traffic signal installations, landscaping, etc.
The WCR 5 Improvement project aims to better traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian and bicyclist environment. The project was approached in phases to allow for pivots and flexibility with weather delays and supply issues while implementing best practices. At the completion of phase 6, the project promises to:
The Town understands that the construction has created changes for parents, students, teachers, and community members. We appreciate your patience and continued support.
- Widen WCR 5 along the whole corridor
- Extend turn lanes where possible
- Add bike lanes along both sides of the roadway
- Extend sidewalks for added pedestrian options
Any questions or concerns about the construction work itself can be directed to the contractor, Brandon Torrez, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 720-327-1484.