Beginning March 14, the Town of Erie will kick off the continuation of the WCR 5 Improvements Project. This project started in the summer of 2021 with utility work in and around the roadway (removal of existing asphalt, cut/fill grading per project plans, placement of base course, concrete curb and gutter, adding medians, related utility piping for services, landscaping, asphalt paving, striping, and signage up).
The next six phases of work will ultimately increase traffic flow, and provide safety for vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists.
The project will create significant changes for parents, students, teachers, and community members who regularly commute through this area.
Included in the plans for the WCR 5 Improvement Project is to:
- Widen WCR 5 along the whole corridor.
- Extend turn lanes where possible.
- Add bike lanes along both sides of the roadway.
- Extend sidewalks for added pedestrian options.
- Add a traffic signal at WCR 5 and Flora View (north entrance to Soaring Heights).
To mitigate the impacts as much as possible, the Town of Erie has been working with stakeholders such as the St. Vrain Valley School District to work around events such as graduation, etc. and the Front Range Landfill to address large truck traffic.
The work will extend beyond the summer break; weather dependent and barring any supply chain issues, or other foreseen delays. The Town is committed to communicating changes as appropriate.
To complete the work in the most expedition and safest manner, the roadway will be fully closed in both directions during every phase of work. This will require specific detours to access either Soaring Heights Elementary or Erie High School. Single-lane closures would exponentially extend the span of time for the project and present other safety concerns.
The Town of Erie will be approving each phase of the work as it is about to begin. There are six planned phases for this project, subject to adjustments to timelines and other details.
The first phase of work is planned to begin on Monday, March 14. Active construction hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m, or dusk. Work may be on weekends.
- Where: Full closure of WCR 5 from the north entrance of Soaring Heights Elementary north to WCR10.
- Planned timeline: March 14 – May 2 (NOTE: As always, timelines are contingent on weather, supplies, and other unforeseen situations)
- Suggested Detours: All traffic attempting to reach Soaring Heights Elementary or Erie High School from the north need to detour.
- To reach Soaring Heights Elementary, take Horizon Avenue to Flora View Drive into the parking lot.
- To reach Erie High School take Horizon Avenue to Colliers Parkway into the school. No detours necessary if approaching the schools from the south.
Motorists, pedestrians, and bicyclists are urged to pay close attention to detours and traffic control signs. Please reduce speeds and, if possible, avoid the construction area.