In the spring of each year, the Erie Police Department receives reports of coyotes. Coyote sightings are not new to Town, and these clever canids have readily adapted to our food and habitat-rich environments. As sightings begin to rise, please take a moment to share some reminders to help avoid negative coyote encounters in your neighborhood:
- Keep pets on a leash when walking.
- Pick up small pets if confronted by a coyote.
- Do what you can to discourage a coyote's approach - yell, stomp your feet, throw small rocks or sticks.
- Always supervise your pet when outside, especially at dawn and dusk. Never leave cats or dogs outside after dark.
- Don't leave food or water outside for pets.
- Keep your pets up to date on vaccinations.