- Public Works
- Recycling Center
The Town of Erie Department of Public Works maintains a Recycling Center which accepts single stream recycling (plastic, paper, glass, metal, cardboard, etc.). Single-stream recycling, cardboard only, and yard waste bins are emptied by Western Disposal weekly.
Learn before you visit which items you can and cannot recycle by downloading the Single-Stream Recycling Guide and the Yard Waste Composting Guide. For additional recycling and waste disposal resources visit the Recycling and Waste Disposal webpage. Use the A-Z Guide to learn how to properly dispose of a hundreds of materials.
Yard Waste Accepted Year-round!
Location & Hours
- 1000 Briggs Street
- Please respect the gates and posted hours:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. 7 days/week (weather permitting)
- Illegal dumping will result in fines and closure of the facility.
To be notified of temporary and holiday closures to the Recycling Center, subscribe to the Alert Center to receive text messages or emails.
Dropping off accepted materials at the Recycling Center is free of charge to Erie residents. The Town does not accept recycling from anyone outside of Erie.
Version OptionsErie Recycling CenterHeadline NotifyMe
- Do not leave anything outside of the bins or on the street in front of the facility. Any items that are not placed in the bins will not be recycled and potentially cause the Recycling Center to close temporarily for cleanup.
- Be prepared to unload your single-stream recycling, break down cardboard boxes and remove any plastic or styrofoam, and make sure all yard waste is clean of plastics, toys, decorations, etc.
- Please remove any plastic bags and styrofoam from recycling and cardboards. These items cannot be recycled at the Town's Recycling Center Drop-off Facility at this time.
- Visitors must check-in with staff upon entry.
- Must provide proof of Erie residency. If you pay your water bill to the Town of Erie, you are a resident.
- Please do not visit the Recycling Center if you feel unwell, have a fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
For more information, call Sustainability at 303-926-2880 or email SustainableErie@erieco.gov.
Where Does Erie's Recycling Go?
Erie's recycling is transferred exclusively to the Boulder County Recycling Center. To learn more about how the recycling is sorted, sold, and reused please watch a virtual tour or in-person tour through the link above. For more information, view the 2020 Boulder County Recycling Center Annual Report.
Single Stream Recycling Accepted at the Erie Recycling Center
Please flatten all cardboard boxes, empty and rinse all containers (do not flatten containers).
Learn before you visit which items you can and cannot recycle by downloading the Single-Stream Recycling Guide
- Paper egg cartons
- Cardboard boxes (must be broken down) – Cereal boxes
- #1-7 Plastic tubs and screw-top jars (No lids, No #7 PLA compostable; Do not flatten)
- Cans (Do not crush or flatten)
- Loose metal jar lids and steel bottle caps
- Glass bottles and jars
- Paper milk/ juice cartons (No foil pouches; Do not flatten)
- Clean, balled aluminum foil (2" or larger) and pie pans
- Loose metal jar lids and steel bottle caps
- Magazines, brochures and catalogs
- Phone Books
- White or pastel office paper
- File folders
- Newspapers and inserts
- Opened mail and greeting cards
- Paperback books
- Empty aerosol cans and no caps
Yard Waste Accepted at the Erie Recycling Center
Keep 'em out!
- No soil or dirt
- No sod
- No rocks or gravel
- No wood over 12" in diameter
- No pet waste
- No food waste
The Recycling Center Does Not Accept
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic Tops
- Shredded Paper
- Hard-Back Books
- Scrap Metal
- Tyvek® Envelopes
- Plastic 6-Pack Holders
- Needles or Syringes
- Paper Ream Wrappers
- Plastic Microwave Trays
- Frozen Food Containers
- Mirrors, Ceramics or Pyrex®
- Light Bulbs, Plates or Vases
- Drinking Glasses
- Window Glass
- Hazardous or Bio-Hazardous Waste
- Plastics Other Than Those Listed
- Tissues, Paper Towels, Napkins
- Waxed Paper or Waxed Cardboard
- Stickers or Sheets of Address Labels
- Kraft® (orange/brown) envelopes
- Styrofoam® or Paper To-Go Containers
All Erie residents, regardless of which county you live in, are able to use the Boulder County Recycling Drop-Off Center, located at 1901 63rd St. between Arapahoe and Valmont. This facility is open 24 hours a day and accepts and processes single-stream recyclable materials.
Additional recycling and waste disposal resources are available on the Recycling and Waste Disposal webpage.
Please do not "wish-cycle"!
Download the A-Z Recycling Guide App, available now on the Apple App Store and Google Play for google play store for google play store .
- NO Plastic Bags
- NO materials in Plastic Bags
- NO Shredded Paper
- NO Scrap Metal
- NO Hazardous Waste
- NO Diapers or Other Bio-Hazardous Waste
- NO Non-Recyclable Plastics
- NO Flattened containers
- NO Caps or Lids on Glass Bottles or Jars
- NO Liquids
- NO Ceramics or Non-Recyclable Glass
- NO Frozen Food Containers
Download the Dirty Dozen Guide for explanations for why each item cannot be recycled and how to dispose of it responsibly. Please help your Town recycle as much as possible and keep our employees safe. As always, thank you for recycling!