Floodplain Information

A floodplain is an expansive, flat area that borders a river or creek. Usually, when rivers or creeks swell beyond capacity to contain their waters, they will overflow onto this adjacent flat terrain, leading to flooding. This excess water often results from heavy rainfall or melting snow. A floodplain typically features a current, akin to that of the river or creek, known as a floodway. Alongside this, there's a fringe area without any current. Collectively, this region is commonly known as the 100-year floodplain or the 1 percent annual chance floodplain, indicating the likelihood of such flooding occurring each year.

floodplain image

Floodplain Development Permit:

Before beginning any construction or development within the floodplain, the Town of Erie mandates obtaining a Floodplain Development Permit. This requirement ensures that all proposed development projects adhere to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) standards and the Town of Erie’s floodplain management ordinance. Activities such as channel improvements, home construction, fence building, or culvert installation are examples of construction or development that necessitate this permit. For inquiries regarding the need for a Floodplain Development Permit, please contact floodplain@erieco.gov.  

Floodplain Development Permit Checklist

The following documents may be required:

  • Tax assessor map
  • Maps and/or plans showing the location, scope and extent of development
  • Floodproofing Certificate: Certificate and supporting documentation used to provide the certification
  • Documentation showing compliance with the Endangered Species Act
  • No-Rise Certificate: Certificate and supporting documentation used to provide the certification
  • Elevation Certificate
  • Constructional Drawing
  • Building Under Construction
  • Finished Construction
  • Grading plans
  • Detailed hydraulic and hydrology model for development in a Zone
  • A Conditional Letter of Map Revision (CLOMR)
  • Structure valuation documentation
  • Non-conversion agreement: Required for all structures that are constructed with an enclosure
  • Wetland Permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
  • Copies of all federal, local and state permits that may be required.
  • Manufactured home anchoring certificate: Certificate and supporting documentation used to provide the certification
  • Other documents deemed necessary by the Floodplain Administrator

Important Links

For questions, contact floodplain@erieco.gov