The LGBTQ+ Law Enforcement Liaison is an advocate for members of the LGBTQ+ community. The liaison builds solid relationships and encourages reporting of hate crimes. In Erie, three sworn officers (a School Resource Officer, a Sergeant, and a Detective) serve as LGBTQ liaisons.
Out To Protect Academy
Our LGBTQ+ Liaisons are participants of the LGBT Law Enforcement Liaison Academy by Out To Protect. Upon graduation, the liaisons will have:
- Identified the key tasks and responsibilities of an LGBT Liaison.
- Developed communication pathways between the LGBT Liaison and the community.
- Identified key people and community organizations to create relationships and partnerships with as an LGBT Liaison.
- Created a community event designed to build trust.
- Demonstrated how to develop and deliver LGBT awareness training for members of law enforcement
- Demonstrated how to identify a hate crime and the basic investigative steps required to prepare a case for prosecution.
Email the EPD LGBTQ+ Liaisons
EPD LGBTQ+ Liaison Brochure
EPD LGBTQ+ Liaison Presentation
EPD LGBTQ Introduction Video
Out To Protect Academy website