Zero Waste Champions
The Town of Erie is working really hard to reduce waste heading to our landfill, but becoming a zero waste community requires all hands on deck!
Erie is seeking Zero Waste Champions to engage with local residents and businesses to make sure everyone knows how to participate in being zero waste. Volunteers will sign up to attend special events or work at the Recycling Center to educate, clean up, collect, and sort waste.
Volunteers will be fully trained and can sign up for opportunities based on their skillset and level of interest. Volunteer opportunities will be during days/times that work for their schedule.
Read through the details below, and if interested, complete the Volunteer Waiver today to get started.
Upcoming Training Schedule
Zero Waste Champion training will be held on the following dates:
- Monday, April 25, 6 p.m. - virtual, more details for those that sign up.
- Ongoing training will be on a rolling basis (onboarding throughout the year) through a virtual recorded training and ‘on the job’ opportunities.
Click the button below to sign up for trainings and to volunteer at upcoming events.
Key Responsibilities of a Zero Waste Champion
Read below to see the different types of volunteer opportunities for Zero Waste Champions.
Special Event Volunteering:
- Volunteers Educate: Volunteers learn about zero waste practices so they can educate special event attendees about what’s recyclable, compostable, or reusable. They are our zero waste ambassadors for the Town and help bring a face to the Town’s goals of becoming a zero waste community.
- Volunteers Collect: Volunteers work with staff to collect full bags of materials from special events to make sure there are no overflowing bins, and the event stays clean and well-maintained.
- Volunteers Sort: Volunteers work with our staff to sort waste materials generated at special events. They work to make sure make sure there is no contamination between the waste types and work with special event coordinators to guarantee what we are recycling and composting gets recycled and composted.
Recycling Center Volunteering:
- Volunteers Educate: Volunteers learn about zero waste practices so they can educate Recycling Center visitors about what’s recyclable, compostable, or reusable. They are our zero waste ambassadors for the Town and help bring a face to the Town’s goals of becoming a zero waste community.
- Volunteers Sort: Volunteers work with our staff to sort waste materials generated at the Recycling Center. They check bins and work to make sure make sure there is no contamination to guarantee what we are recycling and composting gets recycled and composted.
- Volunteers Clean Up: Volunteers help do litter sweeps around the Recycling Center to make sure we’re leaving the community cleaner today to set an example for tomorrow.
Impact of Zero Waste Champions
Your role as a Zero Waste Champion ensures waste is being diverted correctly, which:
- Keeps our community clean.
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions (aka reduces the impact of climate change).
- Protects wildlife and biodiversity.
- Reduces consumption of natural resources.
- Helps make sustainability accessible and equitable for the whole community.
How to Successfully Act as a Zero Waste Champion
- Overview of the Town of Erie operations and zero waste efforts
- Zero Waste 101
- Job-specific training
- For Volunteers: Roughly 10-15 hours a month on your own schedule.
- Ages 16+
- Ability to lift 15-20lbs
- Comfortability approaching the public
- Availability on evenings and weekends for special events
- Clothing that identifies you as a volunteer will be issued to wear during volunteer time.
- Close-toed shoes.
Benefits to You
- Be a leader in our community by helping with zero waste efforts.
- Interact with people with similar interests.
- Participate in fun volunteer recognition and social events.
- Be an integral part of a town’s forward-thinking zero waste efforts.
- Be truly valued by the Town of Erie’s staff and managers.
- Assist residents in understanding and appreciating zero waste initiatives.
- Gain professional references.