2024 Turf Replacement Rebate Program
Looking to save money on your water bill, reduce outdoor water use and beautify your yard with ColoradoScape and low-water use plantings? The Town of Erie would love to help! Our turf replacement rebate program offers up to $2,000 for qualified projects.
If you have an upcoming project and are looking to install water efficient gardens or grass, you might qualify. Landscaping project options include replacing your lawn with water-wise gardens or low water use grasses, and you can design your new low-water use landscape project yourself or work with a landscape professional. If your project covers at least 200 square feet of maintained irrigated turf grass with low/no water wise plantings, you may qualify!
Submit your landscape upgrade plan and rebate application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Rebate funding is first come, first served and is contingent upon design approval, project completion and final walkthrough by a Town of Erie rebate representative. Rebates will be available for eligible projects as funding allows.
General turf replacement requires that irrigation systems are upgraded/updated. Typically, the effectiveness of existing sprinklers will not be ideal for your new water-wise landscape.
Turf Replacement Rebate Requirements and Guidelines
- Artificial Turf is not eligible for this rebate.
- Only projects that are completed in the 2024 calendar year are eligible. No past projects will be rebate eligible. Projects completed in previous years will not be retroactively eligible for rebates/
- Qualifying projects must replace at least 200 square feet.
- Projects must receive water from the Town of Erie and have an Erie water account to be eligible.
- Project related turf grass must be replaced with low or no-water use plant beds or low-water use grasses.
- Rebates include $2 per square foot for low-water use garden plantings or $1 per square foot for low water use grasses. Rebates can be received as a check or as a credit to your water account. Rebate amount cannot exceed the cost of the project.
- Maximum rebate amount is $2000.
- Mulch can include shredded bark, bark chips, or rock.
- Low-water use grass can replace high water use grass. The rebate for this type of project is $1 per square foot.
- Projects must be submitted between February 1st, 2024 and Sept. 1, 2024. Projects must be completed and visited by a Town employee by Oct. 20, 2024.
- Project design must be approved by the Town of Erie turf replacement program representative before ground is broken and follow the design submittal rules noted in the following section. Not gaining approval before work begins will result in not receiving a rebate.
- Designs must meet the landscaping requirements set forth in Town of Erie's Unified Development Code. Irrigation system must be designed to meet the needs of the new landscape. Drip irrigation is required in the median and is recommended in all other areas. No longer needed existing irrigation zones must be capped or otherwise decommissioned.
- Landscaping for new construction is allowed. Area must not be previously landscaped. Designs must be submitted via email to to email@example.com (similar to standard projects with exception of the viable grass pictures).
- Submit all your receipts from start to finish of your project. A final site visit is required once the project is completed and before the rebate can be finalized. These visits can be scheduled by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 303-926-2871.Complete your rebate application after the final walkthrough has been completed.
Submitting A Design
All aspects of your design must be submitted before you start your project. Not completing the submission will result in not receiving a rebate for your project. Here is an outline of the design submission:
- Aerial view of your property from an online mapping program.
- Pictures that show the area of viable turf (green grass, not crab grass).
- Proposed project area:
- Outline using tracing paper or a computer program, the area of turf that will be replaced.
- Calculated square footage of the project area.
- Irrigation design if applicable. If you have an existing in-ground irrigation system, please note how you will be updating it to fit the needs of new landscape. In example, drip system retrofit kits, switching to hand-watering, etc.
- Plant list and design:
- Planting design must show estimated plant size at maturity to meet the 75% plant material coverage requirement.
- Plant list provides identification and quantities of plant types and materials.
- Proof of HOA approval (if applicable).
- Submit the design! Designs should be submitted at our online form or can be dropped off at Town Hall (645 Holbrook Street).
Please direct any questions to the Sustainability Division at email@example.com or by calling 303-926-2871.
- Town of Erie Xeriscaping Resources
- Colorado State University Extension
- Waterwise Yards Inspiration
- Plant Select Plants and Templates or Resource Central Garden in A Box.
- Town of Erie Water-Wise Landscaping Manual
- Northern Water Sustainable Landscape Templates
- Information on disposing of removed turf
- Town of Erie ROW Permit (required for work in the tree lawn)
Here are a few ideas for low-water use grasses, please note there are many other options.
- Turf Type Tall Fescue
- Sheep, Blue and Hard Fine Fescues
- Tahoma 31 Bermuda Grass
- Texas Hybrid Bluegrass
- Dog Tuff Grass
Resource Central Lawn Replacement Service
The Town of Erie and Resource Central want to help you transform your thirsty lawn into a beautiful, low-water landscape! Check out the new Lawn Replacement Program for discounts when you remove a section of lawn. It couldn’t be any easier! Simply plan your project, choose your discounts then apply. After that, you’ll have an optional phone consultation with our advisors, then you’re ready to remove some lawn! This discount is to be used in addition to the Town of Erie Turf Replacement rebate program. It is a service provided to help with the removal of grass, discounts on plants or both! Participants will be eligible for the $2 per square foot rebate after completing their project with this service. Visit ResourceCentral.org/lawn or call 303-999-3820 ext. 221 to enroll! Priority application deadline is 4/1/2024. These discounts are provided first come, first served until enrollment limits are reached.