- Planning & Development
- Building Division
- Apply for Building Permits
Apply for Building Permits
There are several ways to apply for permits. Please use only one method. Please do not apply more than once.
Please see the "Permit Submittal and Inspection Requirements" page for information on submittal requirements. PREFERRED METHOD OF SUBMITTAL IS VIA THE CUSTOMER SELF SERVICE PORTAL. EMAIL SUBMITTALS MAY TAKE LONGER TO PROCESS.
Apply for Permits via the...
Please be advised, staff is not notified when additional documents are uploaded to the Portal. If you are providing additional information, uploading a requested document, or submitting a revised plan, please send an email indicating you have done this so the document(s) may be processed.
Apply for permits via email
Applications can be printed from the Building Permit Applications page and sent in with all required documentation to the Building Division to the email address on the application.
Rapid Plan Review
Wednesdays, from 9-11 a.m., staff is on-hand to review residential permit applications for simple projects including most basement finishes, decks, pergolas, etc. Not all projects qualify for rapid review. It is at the discretion of the plans examiner as to whether or not a rapid review is appropriate.
- Applicants may request a rapid review appointment via email. The email subject must say "RAPID REVIEW REQUEST".
- All documentation for review (application, construction documents, homeowner affidavit, etc.) must be submitted electronically at least 36 hours in advance (by 4 p.m. on Monday).
- Staff will notify applicant by 4 p.m. on Tuesday of their appointment/ time slot.
- Appointments will be scheduled for either 20 or 30 minutes depending on the scope of the project. If a review will require more than this amount of time, it does not qualify for rapid review.
- All contractors on the project must have current Town of Erie license and current certificate of insurance on file for project to be reviewed.
Limit of one plan reviewed per person/company.
If all required documentation is not submitted or any of the contractors listed are not current, you may submit your application however, your plan will not be reviewed during the rapid review time.
Schedule an Inspection
- Visit the “Customer Self-Service Portal” on desktop or mobile device
- Login or Register
- On a mobile device, select the menu button (top left-hand corner - 3 stacked horizontal lines)
- Click “Search”
- Search the permit # (do NOT include BPR/BPC) must enter a 4-digit year
- Click on your permit
- Click “Inspections”
- Check the inspections you need under “Action”
- Request inspections
- Select a date
- Add any notes/comments
- A green checkmark means success!
- Inspection request cut off time is 4 p.m. the business day prior
- Cancellations after 4 p.m. prior business day must be made by calling the main office number between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m.
- Cancellations prior to 4 p.m. prior business day should be accomplished on the Portal
- To speak to an inspector for call 303-926-2780, between 7:30 – 8:00 a.m.
- Inspection results are typically made available by 5 p.m. day of inspection
- Inspections may be canceled - check with our office to confirm your inspection
As of 5/1/2022 inspections on permits for water heater, furnace, or air conditioner replacement/addition shall be by video.
Contractor should create a video at the time of installation. The video must include all items on the list below. Videos shall be uploaded to an online video channel with the link provided to the Town, or submitted by any other method acceptable to the inspector. Submittals should be emailed to the Building Division. Subject line should include the address, permit number, and inspection type.
Please contact the Town of Erie if the video compliance method will not be possible.
Please see Permit Submittal and Inspection Requirements for specific items to be included in each furnace, A/C or water heater video.