Residential Deck submittal requirements
- Completed application
- Homeowner Affidavit (if work is to be completed by homeowner/occupant)
- Plot plan/site plan (must show location of proposed deck and include dimensions from deck to property lines/easements, show existing window wells, show existing mechanicals)
- Deck plan drawing which must include the following (see below for more detailed information):
- piers or footings
- material to be used
- Any additional information deemed necessary by the reviewer (individual projects may require additional information).
- HOA approval may be required.
- Species of wood (Redwood, cedar, southern yellow pine, etc.)
- Grade of wood (#2, #1, etc.)
- Type of decking & direction of install (perpendicular to joist or diagonal)
- Size of
- Ledger (min. 2x8)
- Posts (include height)
- distance between piers
- distance between posts
- distance between beams
- distance between ledger and beam
- distance between joists
- height above adjacent grade
- Post to pier
- Beam to post or pier
- Joist to beam
- Ledger to house
- Connections for lateral load (hold down tension device type and location)
- Connection to existing framing (when applicable)
if using a kit or other than conventional wood framing as addressed in the IRC, manufacturer's specifications are required to be submitted.
**Please provide this information on the drawing. Do not submit documents from other jurisdictions as they do not contain all the required information.**
- ledgers cannot be attached to cantilevers on house
- if deck is an extension and is to be connected to an existing deck, information on the existing deck must be provided
- piers shall be adequately sized to support tributary load
- guard rails are required if deck height is more than 30 inches above grade at any point within 36 inches horizontal of the open side
- Load path of stairs must be code compliant.
As all projects are different, some inspections may not be required, or additional inspections not listed here may be required.
Standard residential deck inspections:
- Pier/Caisson (should be requested at same time as setback inspection)
- Rough Framing
- Final Building
Rough electric and final electric inspections are also required if lighting or receptacle outlets must be added.
Residential Deck Handouts
Deck Code links
2015 IRC deck requirements:
- Section 507 Exterior Decks which includes:
- deck joist span table
- deck beam span table (Note: This only allows for joists from one side per Footnote B)