Building Codes & Design Criteria
NOTICE: 2021 Code Adoption | Grace Period Extension
The Town of Erie Board of Trustees adopted the 2021 editions of the International Codes (I- Codes) that became effective Jan. 20, 2023.
- An April 1, 2023 “grace period” date for compliance was enacted and extended for up to six months to allow for adequate review and adjustment to the 2021 I-Codes, specifically the energy code amendments and residential fire sprinkler provisions.
UPDATE: July 10, 2023
Be advised, the extended “grace period” for compliance to the adopted 2021 I-Codes will expire Sept. 30, 2023.
Building permit applications submitted on and after Oct. 1, 2023, shall be accepted, reviewed, approved, permitted, and inspected for compliance to the 2021 I-Codes and applicable amendments.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- What if I want to request an exemption to the residential fire suppression requirements?
Exemptions will be reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis. Please complete an application form to request an exemption.
- Who determines the minimum water tap/meter size required for a dwelling unit provided with a residential fire sprinkler system?
The permit applicant’s residential fire sprinkler system design consultant should size the water service in accordance with Section P2903 of the 2021 International Residential Code (IRC).
- 2015 I-Codes
The following I-Codes will be active through April 1, 2023* and will be used for projects which began the permitting and approval process prior to the date, but have not yet been completed.
- 2021 I-Codes
*A grace period has been enacted to allow for the previous 2015 I-Codes to be utilized while all involved parties prepare for implementation of 2021 Codes. These codes will be the mandatory codes to follow beginning in fall 2023.
- International Building Code 2021 Code Edition
- International Residential Code 2021 Code Edition
- National Electrical Code 2020 Edition - local amendments - 2023 NEC Adoption and IECC Amendments
- International Energy Conservation Code 2021 Code Edition - 2023 NEC Adoption and IECC Amendments
- International Mechanical Code 2021 Code Edition
- International Plumbing Code 2021 Code Edition
- International Swimming Pool and Spa code 2021
- International Fuel Gas Code 2021 Edition
- International Existing Building Code 2021 Edition
- International Fire Code 2021 Edition
The Town of Erie Board of Trustees adopted the 2023 National Electric Code and new 2021 International Energy Conservation Code amendments on Aug. 22, 2023.
- REQUIRED: Any and all electrical work permitted in the Town after Sept. 21, 2021 is required to comply with the 2020 NEC.
- Please also review the 2021 International Code Adoption Ordinance. The Board of Trustees approved the adoption of these codes on Dec. 13, 2022.
2021 International Fire Codes
The Board of Trustees held a public hearing on the adoption of the 2021 International Fire Codes on Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2023. Review the ordinance.
Planning Division Design Criteria
This includes items such as architectural standards, access requirements, and orientation requirements. These requirements are governed by the Unified Development Code as well as individual subdivision development agreements. Development Design Standards.
Please consult with the Planning Division to ensure your project meets these requirements.
Please design residential projects to comply with the following criteria:
- Snow load - 30 psf
- Wind load - 142 mph V(ult)
- Frost depth - 30 inches
- Winter design temp - 0 degrees
- Summer design temp - 91 degrees