Who Must Obtain a Business License
New businesses must apply for a business license and must renew it annually. A business license is necessary for General Businesses (wholesale, retail, service, manufacturing, or contracting) and Home Occupation Businesses (home-based wholesale, retail, service, manufacturing, or daycare business where family members reside). Commercial Businesses must obtain a certificate of occupancy before opening and before the issuance of a business license, but an application for a business license must be submitted before the certificate of occupancy will be issued so it is recommended businesses apply for both simultaneously. When the CO or TCO has been issued, the issuance of the business license will be triggered.
Contractors, subcontractors, and tradesmen need to have a Town of Erie Contractors License AND a Business License. View information on Contractor Licenses.
Business License Information
Before you begin the application to obtain a Business License please note:
- Annual Renewal IS required.
- Businesses changing the name, ownership structure, or tax identification number must submit written notice within 30 days of the change.
- Businesses changing locations or nature of the business must submit a new business license application.
- There is an annual fee of $50 for business licenses or $25 for home occupation licenses.
- An ID for the applicant, a lease agreement for the space, and proof of address may be required before being issued.
- If an email address for the applicant is not provided, a delay in processing will occur.
- If you are a vendor participating in a Town permitted special event then you are not required to get a business or home occupancy license. You will follow the regulations associated with vending at the event, which is provided by the event coordinator.
How to Obtain a Business License
A Business License Application may be completed online using the Self-Service Portal. Login or register, and then select the Licenses Tab to apply for a Business License.
Pursuant to Colorado Senate Bill 21-199, the Town of Erie no longer requires business applicants to state their citizenship status, effective immediately.
How to Obtain a Home Occupation Business License
A Home Occupation Business License Application may be completed online using the Self-Service Portal. Login or register, and then select the Licenses Tab to apply for a Home Occupation Business License.
*Exemptions include the operation of any business exempt by federal or state law, newsboys, or an employee (nanny, telecommuter, etc.). Businesses located outside the Town are required to obtain a business license if selling taxable services to Erie residents, soliciting through sales or agent representatives in Erie, performing service work under maintenance agreements, leasing equipment to an Erie resident or business; or installing tangible goods in Erie.