General Business & Home Occupation Licenses
Erie Municipal Code requires anyone* engaged in business within the Town shall be licensed by the Town.
There are two types of business licenses:
- General Business Licenses: Covers wholesale, retail, service, and manufacturing type businesses
- Home Occupations: Covers any home based wholesale, retail, service, manufacturing, or day care business that employees only family members residing on site
All businesses must have Community Development approval and may require a site visit and inspection by Town of Erie building inspectors.
Note: Commercial businesses must obtain a certificate of occupancy (PDF) inspection prior to opening.
*Exemptions include the operation of any business exempt by federal or state law, newsboys, contractors/subcontractors/tradesman licensed through a contractors license, or an employee (nanny, telecommuter). Businesses located outside the Town are required to obtain a business license if selling taxable services to Erie residents, soliciting through sales or agent representatives in Erie, performing service work under maintenance agreements, leasing equipment to an Erie resident or business; or installing tangible goods in Erie.
New! Changes to Business License Process
- Annual renewal is no longer required
- New businesses must apply for a business license
- Existing businesses must submit written notice regarding changes to business name, ownership structure, or tax identification number within 30 days of change
- Existing businesses changing locations or nature of their business must submit a new business license application or home occupation license application for review
- No fee for business licenses or home occupation licenses
A letter that was sent to existing businesses along with an updated certificate can be viewed here. Please note that the updated certificate does not include an expiration date to reflect these changes.