Licenses & Permits

 Permits - 2


  • Visit the Secretary of State of Colorado website to:
    • Conduct a business name search, make sure no one else is using the name you would like to use, reserve it if not ready to commit yet.
    • Register your business with the State. If you haven’t chosen a location for your business you may register it using your home address even if that is not where you intend to operate the business from, just remember to change your account address once you establish your business location.
  • Obtain a Federal Tax ID Number from the Internal Revenue Service.
    • All businesses except sole proprietor with no employees need to get a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
      • Go to, click on business, click on Employer ID Number and follow the instructions to apply, or you may call the IRS at 1.800.829.4933
  • Visit Colorado Business Express Website to register your business with the Colorado Department of Revenue and Colorado Department of Labor and Employment. This site will guide you through the process of filing for a sales tax license for the State of Colorado, the applicable County and the Town of Erie, as well as wage withholding account and/or unemployment insurance account. 
  • Many professionals or occupations shall be licensed by the State of Colorado. Visit the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) to determine if your profession requires a State license beyond that of the Town of Erie, and registration with the Secretary of State’s Office.
  • All public and private employers in Colorado, with limited exceptions, must provide workers’ compensation coverage for their employers if one or more full- or part-time persons are employed.  The Division of Workers’ Compensation in the Department of Labor and Employment administers the workers’ compensation program in Colorado.
  • Will your business sell food or beverages? If selling or serving food to the public (other than bottled or canned beverages, pre-packaged non-potentially hazardous foods such as chips and candy, a license from the applicable health agency is required.
    • If your business will be located within the Weld County portion of Erie contact the Weld County Department of Public Health & Environment, Food Safety Division.
    • If your business will be located within the Boulder county portion of Erie contact the Boulder County Environmental Health Division Food Safety Program.  
  • Will your business sell alcohol?
  • Submit a business license to the Town of Erie Planning Division.
    • Are you operating your business out of your home in Erie? Then review and complete the Home occupation license.
    • If your business is not home based in Erie  then complete the General Business or Manufacturing application.
    • Note – an issuance of a business license to businesses in non-residential locations in Erie does not equate to being able to open your business in Erie to customers and employees; a certificate of occupancy may be required from the Town of Erie Building Division. Those businesses based outside of Erie or home-based in Erie may conduct business in Erie once a business license is issued.
  • All businesses, other than home-based businesses, may be required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) from the Building Division. Businesses should contact the Building Division to determine if a CO is required.  If it is determined a CO is required applicants shall submit a building permit for either a certificate of occupancy along with a floor plan of the building if not proposing to make any changes to the interior or exterior of the building or unit.
    • Please submit a floor plan of the building you will occupy noting where in the building your business will be located with the building permit application for a Certificate of Occupancy. An inspection of the facility may not be required if your business use is the same as the previous occupant; if different an inspection may be required.
  • Will you be making modifications to the interior or exterior of the business unit or building? Anything other than cosmetic may require a building permit  and possibly a plan review by the Fire Department.  Businesses should contact the Building Division and the Mountain View Fire Protection District to determine what, if any, permits are necessary, and if so, what materials will be required to be submitted and to determine how long it generally takes for plan review and issuance of permits.
    • Make sure the contractors you hire have the proper licenses from the Town as well.  This ensures the contractors have the required insurance policies.
  • Flyers/Solicitors License – If you would like to peddle flyers or products door to door the staff that will be going door to door must visit the Town Clerk’s Office and complete a solicitors license application and background review.  Note: licenses may not be issued immediately as review of backgrounds may take several days. 
  • Will you have a sign for your business? All signs, including changing of a sign face in an existing sign frame requires a separate building (sign) permit from the Erie Building Division.
    • Please include an exhibit of the sign that identifies the dimensions, colors, materials, as well as the location on the building.  
  • Thinking you might want a banner to announce your grand opening? Make sure you obtain a Temporary Sign Permit from the Town of Erie Building Division.  Temporary signs may be up for no more than 30 days in a calendar year. 

Contact Us

  1. Ben Pratt

    Economic Development Manager

    645 Holbrook St.
    P.O. Box 750
    Erie, CO 80516

    Ph: 303-926-2769