Marketing & Advertising



Any new sign fixture or change in sign face requires a building permit (PDF) from the Town of Erie. This is to ensure that the signs are properly and safely installed and to prevent sign blight. Please visit with the Town of Erie Building Division to review the size, location, cost, inspection, and additional details to consider when designing, constructing and installing a sign.

Temporary Signs/Banners/Flags

Each banner or temporary sign requires a Temporary Sign Permit (PDF) application from the Town of Erie. The Town allows a business to have a temporary sign for no more than 30 days in a calendar year. This may be one banner for 30 straight days or split into a variety of times as long as the total amount of temporary signs are not posted for more than 30 days in a calendar year.


 If you would like to peddle flyers or products door to door, the staff that will be going door to door must visit the Town Clerk's Office and complete a solicitors license application and background review. Note: permits may not be issued immediately as review of backgrounds may take several days.

  • The Town of Erie Parks and Recreation Department offers opportunities in which your business may Advertise with the Town. Maybe an outdoor sign at the Ball Park at Erie with banners or scoreboard signs would work well for your business. Or perhaps consider a banner in the Erie Community Center's gym or on the electronic sign in the lobby. Other ways include Pet Waste Bag Stations or on Sports Uniforms. Visit the Erie Community Center to get details on how you can advertise your business around Erie.
  • Businesses may participate in a variety of events in Erie as a form of advertising. The Town, Erie Chamber of Commerce and other community organizations host events throughout the year. Many events offer vendor booths that allow you to connect with event guests face to face. Have an activity at your booth that causes potential customers to do more than meander by. The time at your booth will allow you to get to know them and share what your business has to offer.
  • The Erie Chamber of Commerce has partnered with the Erie Community Library to distribute welcome packets to new residents when opening a library card. Business may contact the Erie Chamber of Commerce for details.
  • Businesses and events that are tourism or heritage related may want to look into the free advertising available through the State of Colorado Tourism Office. Visit, log in and list your business or event.
  • Many schools offer advertisement opportunities: CU Boulder, St. Vrain Valley School District, Boulder Valley School District, and more either through flyers, banners, ads in publications or sponsorships.
  • Don't miss out on the opportunity to connect to your customers through Social Media. Erie residents are very tech savvy and many stay connected to the community through a variety of social media outlets and apps including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Google and Foursquare.

Not sure how to go about marketing your business with Social Media? Look for nearby classes offered by the Small Business Development Centers (PDF).

Regulations: See the Erie Municipal Code Sections: 4-1-2 License Fees, 4-3-1 License Required, 7-6-5 Regulations (at parks or recreation facilities) and the Unified Development Code Sections: 10.6.12.C, 10.6.12.F, 10.16.12.B, 10.16.12.B.5.m