Daily inspection Cap
The Building Division is currently capping the total number of inspections scheduled each business day. Inspection requests over the cap will be rolled to the next business day. We apologize for any inconvenience during this temporary inspection cap.
2020 National Electrical Code now adopted
The Town of Erie Board of Trustees has adopted the 2020 National Electrical Code (NEC) to be effective August 21, 2021. Please be advised: any and all electrical work permitted in the Town after September 21, 2021 will be required to comply with the 2020 NEC.
The Building Division continues to accept applications electronically thru the Self-Service Portal (preferred), or via email. Please see the Permit Submittal and Inspection Requirements page to ensure your submittal is complete to aid in prompt review and approval. All permit types are not yet represented here.
If you need to speak to an inspector to cancel a scheduled inspection, or for any other reason please call 303-926-2780 in order to leave a message or send an email.
Note: Some projects require a minimum setback from property lines whether or not a building permit is required. Please see the Building Division for required subdivision setbacks and property easements. No part of any structure may project into an easement per Section 10-4-2 of the Municipal Code.
Before You Dig
Before digging, call the Utility Notification Center of Colorado at 800-922-1987. It’s fast, free, and it is the law. Call at least three days before you plan to dig. Protect yourself, your family, and your neighborhood.
There are several ways to apply for permits. Please use only one method. Please do not apply more than once.
Please see the "Permit Submittal and Inspection Requirements" page for information on submittal requirements.
Please be advised, staff is not notified when additional documents are uploaded to the Portal. If you are providing additional information, uploading a requested document, or submitting a revised plan, please send an email indicating you have done this so the document(s) may be processed.
Apply for permits via email
Rapid Plan Review
Wednesdays, from 9-11:00 a.m., staff is on-hand to review residential permit applications for simple projects including most basement finishes, decks, pergolas, etc. Not all projects qualify for rapid review. It is at the discretion of the plans examiner as to whether or not a rapid review is appropriate.
- Applicants may request a rapid review appointment via email. The email subject must say "RAPID REVIEW REQUEST".
- All documentation for review (application, construction documents, homeowner affidavit, etc.) must be submitted electronically at least 36 hours in advance (by 4:00 p.m. on Monday).
- Staff will notify applicant by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday of their appointment/ time slot.
- Appointments will be scheduled for either 20 or 30 minutes depending on the scope of the project. If a review will require more than this amount of time, it does not qualify for rapid review.
- All contractors on the project must have current Town of Erie license and current certificate of insurance on file for project to be reviewed.
Limit of one plan reviewed per person/company.
If all required documentation is not submitted or any of the contractors listed are not current, you may submit your application however, your plan will not be reviewed during the rapid review time.
Schedule an Inspection
- Visit the “Customer Self-Service Portal” on desktop or mobile device
- Login or Register
- On a mobile device, select the menu button (top left-hand corner - 3 stacked horizontal lines)
- Click “Search”
- Search the permit # (do NOT include BPR/BPC) must enter a 4-digit year
- Click on your permit
- Click “Inspections”
- Check the inspections you need under “Action”
- Request inspections
- Select a date
- Add any notes/comments
- A green checkmark means success!
- Inspection request cut off time is 4:00 PM the business day prior
- Cancellations after 4:00 p.m. prior business day must be made by calling the main office number between &:30 and 8:30 a.m.
- Cancellations prior to 4:00 p.m. prior business day should be accomplished on the Portal
- To speak to an inspector for call 303-926-2780, between 7:30 – 8:30 a.m.
- Inspection results are typically made available by 5:00 p.m. day of inspection
- Inspections may be canceled - check with our office to confirm your inspection
Live Video Inspections area available for occupied residential dwellings. View the full policy and procedure.
- Call (303) 926-2780 before 4 p.m. to request a live video inspection for the following business day.
- Provide the active building permit number, property address, type of inspection requested and an email address.
- A live video meeting invitation link will be emailed with confirmation of the scheduled inspection start time.