Important Dates for
Erie’s Municipal Election
The Town of Erie will conduct its Regular Municipal Election on Tuesday, April 3, 2018. During this election, registered voters in Erie will be electing a Mayor and three (3) Trustees. The Mayor will be elected to serve a two-year term and three Trustees will be elected to serve four-year terms.
Background: The Town of Erie holds a Regular Municipal Election the first Tuesday of April in even-numbered years. Trustees serve four-year staggered terms; at every Regular Election there are three out of the six seats up for election. The Mayor serves a two-year term.
Candidate Information & Deadlines
- Petitioning may not begin until Tuesday, January 2, 2018. Due to the holiday closure of Town Hall on Tuesday, January 2, the Candidate’s Packet, including the petition paperwork, is available now from the Town Clerk’s office. Perspective candidates can also view selected information from the packet and important dates here.
- The Town Clerk’s Office has scheduled an informational meeting for candidates interested in running for the Board of Trustees on Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room at Town Hall. This meeting is not mandatory, however, information will be provided from the Secretary of State’s Office regarding the Colorado Campaign and Financial Practices Act as well as other important candidate information.
- Each petition requires a minimum of ten signatures from registered electors within the boundaries of the Town of Erie. Registered electors may only sign one petition for the Mayoral candidacy and up to three petitions for the Board of Trustees candidates (only one signature per candidate). Completed petitions must be filed no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 22, 2018 with the Town Clerk’s Office. This is the last day for candidates to submit petitions to be included on the April 3rd ballot.
Mail Ballot Information
The Town Clerk’s Office will mail the ballots by the week of Monday, March 12, 2018. Erie voters may mail their ballot or drop off their ballot at Town Hall any time during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) and on Election Day from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Ballots must be received by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day. Registered voters who do not receive a ballot in the mail may request one from the Erie Town Clerk’s Office.
Voter Registration Information
To register to vote you must be:
- A United States Citizen
- Be 18 years old on or before the date of the election
- Reside in Colorado and in the municipal election precinct for at least 22 days before the election
- Registration is permitted on any day up to and including the day of the election
Voter Registration Deadline Information
You may register either online, by mail or in person. Registration options are:
- Up to 8 days prior to the election voter registration is available via the Secretary of State’s online voter registration system www.govotecolorado.com
- Prior to and including the day of the election voter registration can be conducted by your County Clerk and Recorder or Town Clerk
For more information on Erie’s Municipal Election please visit www.erieco.gov/vote
or contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 303-926-2731.